Sunday, November 20, 2011

Bonfires and christmas trees


So the past few weeks have been rather interesting! I have been so busy and have been trying to write this blog for a while and just haven’t had the time to sit down and do it! I’ve experienced a whole mix of emotions and feel like I have spent very little time at home with the Cornwall’s (although they have all been quite ill and I have managed to avoid the bug, so maybe it paid of not being here so much)
view from where we had the bonfire
I have now been in Guernsey for almost four weeks and I officially have a new found respect for people that move to a new place, especially those who go on their own, not knowing anyone at all! Having been here a month now, it’s odd…you can meet lots of people, but still not actually know people. I now realise how often it is taken for granted that you are surrounded by people you know, how friendships are also unappreciated. You don’t realise until you are out of the situation, how easy and natural it is to walk up to a group of people that you know well and join in with a conversation, or  to walk up to a person and start a conversation. When you’re not it a situation where you can do that, it feel strange and you realise what you used to have…the Sunday before last the church held a bonfire event for the local community, the bonfire was in a park overlooking the sea….it was beautiful! BUT everyone knew everyone… I may know the names of some people and may have told them how I came to Guernsey and what I’m doing here, but I’m not going to lie, its felt sooo strange to just walk up to a group of people that are already friends, its feels like you’re getting in the way, or you’re a hassle because everything has to be explained to you because you don’t know about the thing they are talking about! and by no means am I saying that people here are not very welcoming!! I have felt soooo welcomed and excepted by people, I just think it is so easy forget what it’s like to be a new person coming in to a group! I know that I am guilty of doing it myself, when you’re in your own group of friends, it’s so easy to forget as you chat and laugh together that there may be someone who doesn’t feel like they can walk up to the group and join in…even though they group would think that it is absolutely fine!
However as the week went on, things changed a bit and I spent the rest of the week meeting with people and eating out J On Monday night I was invited to have dinner with a couple in the church before a meeting we were having! On Tuesday I was able to meet with Michele, a beautiful woman of God who is soo excited to do some 24-7 prayer things, we were able to talk together and just share our thoughts and feeling, not only about prayer but we were also able to talk about life in Guernsey! Wednesday I was invited out for lunch with a girl I met at the bonfire night…and on Saturday night  I had been invited to an engagement party…before the party I was nervous…I actually contemplated not going…but when I thought about it more I realised that actually if I want to feel comfortable around the people here this would probably be a pretty good way to start! And you know…I actually really enjoyed myself…for some reason it felt different, maybe I was more relaxed, or maybe more open…I don’t know…but I was able to chat with people and feel accepted! 
I actually had a really good week! I loved feeling comfortable here, and feeling part of the church and part of Guernsey!
just a little side note…so I knew when I came to Guernsey I had to be prepared to get stuck in to anything that was thrown my way, but I did not expect…
putting out the fire
to be putting out the bonfire with tiny cups of stolen water, out of stolen wheelie bins!
to be crawling round the floor picking up the rubbish left from the fireworks 
to go to B and Q and by 12 Christmas trees
to be kneeling on the floor in the middle of the town center praying for people



No comments:

Post a Comment